Information technology tools and resources at the UW
Outlook Web App and Exchange Online
- On This Page
- Connect to Exchange Online
- Log Out of OWA
- Bookmark Your Mailbox for Exchange Online
- Forward Your Email to Your Exchange Account
Connect to Exchange Online
The easiest way to start using Exchange Online is to use Outlook Web App (OWA). OWA requires only a Web browser on your computer.
To connect to UW Exchange using Outlook Web App
- Open the Web page for Outlook Web App.
- Log in using your UW NetID and password. If you are prompted to set the time zone, select it from the dropdown list.
- When you connect to the OWA Web page with a browser that cannot use OWA Standard, it automatically uses the Light version.
- When you connect to the OWA page with a browser that can support OWA Standard, you are given a choice to use the Standard or Light version. You may choose to use the Light version if your computer is communicating over a slow network connection.
- Once logged in, you can find information on using OWA by reading the online help. At the top-right of the screen, click the question mark icon.
Log Out of OWA
To log out of OWA, click your user name, and then click Sign out. When you do this, sometimes the logout fails and your mailbox continues to be displayed. If this happens, click the OneDrive link to switch to UW OneDrive for Business and log out from there.
Bookmark Your Mailbox for Exchange Online
The URL for OWA access to Exchange Online is:
However, when you log on using this URL, you are redirected to a different URL that displays your mailbox, similar to this:
The “pod” in the URL represents one of many groups of Microsoft servers that could be hosting your mailbox. For technical reasons such as load balancing, mailboxes are often moved from one pod to another. So if you log in to Exchange Online and then bookmark the “pod” URL, that bookmark will work only for a limited period of time. To get a bookmark that will work all of the time, you need to edit the bookmark and manually enter the URL:
The procedure for editing bookmarks is different for every browser. Consult your browser’s online help for instructions.
Forward Your Email to Your Exchange Online Account
If you currently receive mail in a Deskmail or other account, make sure that your new mail is being forwarded to your Exchange Online account. See Forwarding Your Email to Your Exchange Online Account.