Information technology tools and resources at the UW
Moving Data Off of UW Windows Live
Options for Moving Data
The recent changes to UW Windows Live may prompt many to choose a new mail service. UW Google Apps is a viable alternative, and this page explains the various methods used to transfer UW Windows Live data to an active UW Google Apps account.
- Calendar data must be transferred manually unless you have access to the desktop version of Outlook. Once Outlook is configured for UW Windows Live, Google Apps Sync for Microsoft Outlook can be used to transfer all of your data, including your calendars. Instructions for the first part of this process, configuring Outlook, are included below. Instructions for setting up Google Apps Sync for Microsoft Outlook are provided by Google.
- Email can be transferred using Google’s Mail Fetcher. However, only mail that is already in your inbox, or mail that is copied to your inbox from your folders will transfer using this method. If you would like to transfer your email using Fetcher, step by step instructions are available here.
- Contacts can be transferred by forwarding them from UW Windows Live. To do this, click on the Contacts section of your UW Windows Live mail interface, highlight the contacts you’d like moved, then right click and choose “forward as an attachment.” If you send these contacts to your UW Google Apps account, they will show up attached to the forwarded message with a link to “Import to Contacts.” Click the link for each contact, and it will appear in your Google Apps address book.
Configure Outlook for Use with UW Windows Live
The instructions below are intended for individuals wishing to use Google Apps Sync for Microsoft Outlook, or a similar tool to migrate UW Windows Live email, contacts, and calendar items to a new email system. These instructions are written for Outlook 2010, but many versions of Outlook can be setup using an almost identical procedure.
- Start by creating a new account within Outlook. Go to the “File” tab, click on “Info” and then click on the “Add Account” button. You will be asked to provide:
- Your Name: the name that will be used when sending mail
- E-mail Address: use firstname.lastname@example.org (where “netid” is your actual UW NetID). Please note that the special @ol.uw.edu email address is only used at this step in the configuration.
- Password: can be left blank
- After hitting “next”, you should see a password box pop up asking for your credentials. Choose “Use another account” and use email@example.com as your user name (this will change to firstname.lastname@example.org after your account is transitioned). For your password, use your UW Windows Live password.
- Once you have successfully entered your password, Outlook will request a restart. After restarting Outlook, you should have your UW Windows Live account configured and ready to setup Google Apps Sync.If you would prefer to export your data for later use, you can use Microsoft’s instructions to create a PST (Outlook Data File).