Information technology tools and resources at the UW
Frequently Asked Questions about UW (Deskmail) Email
- How to access UW(Desk) Email?
- How to track the usage of UW Deskmail storage space?
- How to manage UW Deskmail forwarding?
- How to filter, block, or set vacation message?
How to access UW(Desk) Email?
Three ways are available for you to interact with and use UW (Deskmail) Email:
- Use an email program on your computer or phone
- Configuration instructions for several programs are in the Configuring Your Email Program for UW (Deskmail) Email page.
- Many smartphones can run email programs that can be configured to work with UW Email. Configuration instructions can be found on the Smartphones pages
- Use Web Alpine through your Web browser
- Web Alpine works well for email when traveling, such as when you are at a conference or a cyber-cafe.
- Web Alpine allows you to send and save attachments directly using your local desktop computer.
- Use Alpine on Homer, Vergil, or other computers
- Alpine is a text-only email program. It cannot display graphics. Alpine has many power features.
- You access Alpine with a terminal program such as PuTTY or the Terminal application on Macintosh OSX computers.
- Attachments cannot be saved directly to your desktop computer. A file transfer program such as Tectia must be used to move the file from Homer or Vergil to your local computer.
- Using a terminal session program and Alpine works well on slower computers or when you have a slow connection speed, such as when you are using a modem.
How to track the usage of UW Deskmail storage space?
- See how much space all your email is using
- See total usage compared to your storage space allocation
- See which folders are using the most space
How to manage UW Deskmail forwarding?
Go to the Manage UW NetID Resources page
- Forward your UW email to another address
- Stop your UW email (All messages sent to your UW email address will be returned to the sender as undeliverable.)
How to filter, block, or set vacation message?
Go to the Email Delivery Manager (EDM) pages
- Control messages delivered to your UW (Deskmail) Email Inbox
- Set an out-of-office reply (vacation) message to be sent to anyone who sends you email while you are gone
- Filter out spam into a separate folder
- Block messages from a particular email address, deleting them without response
- Sort messages automatically into folders as they arrive