Information technology tools and resources at the UW
Forwarding email as an attachment
The process of forwarding email as an attachment can vary depending on several factors, including what email service you are using, whether you access your email via a website or an email client, and if you are using a desktop computer or mobile device. Below is some general guidance on how to forward an email as an attachment for the most common email platforms used at the UW, however you may need to search online for specific instructions for the device and service you use. Forwarding email as an attachment keeps the original email headers intact, which provides important information about spam and phishing attempts.
- Locate the message you wish to forward, and either highlight it in the reading pane by clicking once, or open it in it’s own window by double clicking.
- In the ribbon controls at the top, locate the “Home” tab (called the Message” tab if you’ve opened the email in it’s own window).
- Locate the “Respond” section in the ribbon, which is where options for Reply, Reply All, Forward, etc., should appear.
- Select the “More” dropdown option, and select the Forward as Attachment option.
- Locate the message you wish to forward, and highlight it in the reading pane.
- On the ribbon, locate the section that contains buttons for reply, reply all, forward etc.
- Locate and click on the button to the right side of that section that says “attachment” next to an icon of a paperclip and the forwarding arrow.
- Log into Outlook Web App.
- Click the ” New ” button to start a new email.
- Locate the email that you wish to forward as an attachment.
- Click and hold the email you wish to forward as an attachment, and drag it into the body of the new email.
- Log into UW Gmail.
- Open the email you wish to forward as an attachment.
- In the upper-right section of the message, next to the date and the reply button, locate ad click on the downward pointing caret ( )
- Select “Show Original” from the options displayed.
- A new tab or window should open, showing the detailed content of the email.
- Locate the “Download Original” link displayed on the page.
- Right click on the link, and save it to a location on your computer you will remember.
- Close the tab or window containing the original email, and return to your UW Gmail inbox.
- Click “Compose” to start a new email.
- Locate and click on the paperclip icon ( ).
- Select the original email from the location you saved it on your computer.