Information technology tools and resources at the UW
Manual migration to Exchange Online
- Forward your Deskmail email to Exchange Online
- Configure Outlook for Deskmail
- Copy email messages from Deskmail to Exchange Online
Before you can move emails from Deskmail to Exchange Online, you must set your “UW Email forwarding” to forward email to your Exchange Online account.
Go to the UW NetID Manage Portal. Under “Change UW Email Forwarding“, select “Forward to UW Office 365“.
Configure the Microsoft Outlook email client installed on your Windows desktop computer to connect your Deskmail account.
- In Outlook, click “File” and select “Account Settings“.
- In the dialog box that appears, select the “Email” tab, then select “New“.
- Select “Manual setup or additional server types“.
- Select “POP or IMAP“.
- Click “Next“.
- Enter the following in the fields on the next screen:
Your Name: Your Full Name Email Address: <uwnetid>@uw.edu (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org) Account Type: Select IMAP (POP is NOT supported) Incoming mail server: <uwnetid>.deskmail.washington.edu Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.uw.edu User Name: <uwnetid> (e.g. dawg) Password: The password associated with your UW NetID
- At the bottom right side of the screen, click “More Settings“. Then click the “Advanced” tab located at the top of the “Internet E-mail Settings” window. Enter the settings as they appear in the below example.
- Click the “Outgoing Server” tab. And then click the box next to “My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication“. Make sure “Use same settings as my incoming mail server” is selected, and then click “OK“.
- Click “OK“, and click “Next“.
That should set up your Deskmail account in Outlook on your desktop PC. Depending on the number of email messages and your internet connection speed, it may take from two to 30 minutes for all messages to download to Outlook.
Once you have added your Deskmail account to Outlook, follow the steps below to safely copy all messages from your Deskmail to Exchange Online. That is the safest way to copy your messages, and it ensures that all your messages will be copied without loss of any information.
- Click File, then click “Open & Export“
- Under Open, select “Import/Export“.
- From the Import and Export Wizard, select “Export to a file“, and click “Next“.
- On the next screen, select “Outlook Data File (.pst)“, and click “Next“.
- Select your Deskmail account, make sure “Include subfolders” box is checked, and click “Next“.
- Select the directory where you want to save the file. Choose an easily accessible location, such as your Desktop. Select “Allow duplicate items to be created“.
- The next screen is an optional step for setting up an additional password for your data file. Click “OK” to skip that step. The next step will ask for your Deskmail password. On that screen, enter your UW NetID password, and click “OK“. The export will begin.
- To import the (.pst) file created, click “File“, and then select “Import/Export“.
- Select “Import from another program or file“. Browse to the location where you previously saved the (.pst) file. Select the option “Replace duplicates with items imported“. Click “Next“.
- If you provided an additional password, enter that password. From the dropdown, select your Exchange Online (UW Office 365) mailbox. Make sure to check the box “Include subfolders“. Click “Finish“, and that will import all of your Deskmail emails into your Exchange Online account.
- After completing your import, verify the results by logging in to Outlook Web App. If you do not see your imported email messages, Exchange Online is still synchronizing with your Outlook mailbox. Check back in 30 minutes. Upon successful verification, it is safe to remove your Deskmail account from Outlook on your desktop PC.