Information technology tools and resources at the UW
Manual migration to Exchange Online
- Forward your Deskmail email to Exchange Online
- Configure Outlook for Deskmail
- Copy email messages from Deskmail to Exchange Online
Before you can move emails from Deskmail to Exchange Online, you must set your UW Email forwarding to forward email to your Exchange Online account.
Go to the UW NetID Manage Portal and select UW Office 365 as your forwarding
Configure Outlook on your desktop to connect your Deskmail account.
- In Outlook, click File and select Account Settings.
- In the dialog box that appears, select the Email tab, then select New.
- Select Manual setup or additional server types.
- Select POP or IMAP.
- Click Next.
- Enter the following in the fields on the next screen:
Name: Your Full Name Email: netID@netID.deskmail.washington.edu where netID is your UW NetID. Incoming mail server: netID.deskmail.washington.edu where netID is your UW NetID. Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.uw.edu User Name: UW NetID Password: The password associated with your UW NetID.
- At the bottom right side of the screen, click More Settings. The Internet E-mail Settings dialog box appears. Click the Advanced tab.
- Click OK and click Next. This should set up your Deskmail account on Outlook on desktop. Depending on the number of email messages and your internet connection speed, it may take from two to 30 minutes for all messages to download to Outlook.
Once you have added your Deskmail account to Outlook, follow the steps below to safely copy all messages from your Deskmail to Exchange. This is the safest way to copy your messages, and ensures that all your messages will be copied without loss of any information.
- Click File, then click Open and Export
- Under Open, select Import/Export.
- From the Import and Export Wizard, select Export to a file and click Next.
- On the next screen, select Outlook Data File (.pst) and click Next.
- Select your Deskmail account, check the Include subfolders box and click Next.
- Select the directory where you want to save the file. Choose an easily accessible location such as your desktop. Select Allow duplicate items to be created.
- The next screen is an optional step for setting up an additional password for your data file. You can skip this step. The next step will ask for your Deskmail password. On this screen enter your Deskmail password and click OK. The export will begin.
- To import the (.pst) file created, click File and then select Import/Export.
- Select Import from another program or file. Browse to the location where you previously saved the (.pst) file. Select the option Replace duplicates with items imported. Click Next.
- If you provided an additional password, enter that password here. From the dropdown select your Exchange Online (Office 365) mailbox. Make sure to check the box Include subfolders. Click Finish and this will import all of your Deskmail emails into your Exchange Online account.