License agreements with Tableau make Tableau products available at reduced or no cost to full-time students, faculty, and staff. This page describes the reduced cost licensing for staff, and faculty who are not teaching using Tableau. A high level overview of all Tableau product costs is available on the Get Tableau tab of the Tableau page. Get more answers at the Tableau FAQ.
- Tableau Desktop License one-time cost: $1,200.00
- Monthly Maintenance Fee: $35.00
- Tableau Desktop Licensees agree to the terms of the UW Information Systems and UW Institutional Information Access and Use Agreement
- The budget number provided during the time of purchase will be directly billed on monthly basis
- Once the billing account is provisioned, purchase and budget information will be available for review at
- A purchased license is assigned to one person using their active UW NetID – that person is the sole user of the Tableau Desktop license. The license can be transferred to another user.
- Free support and maintenance from Tableau staff is included with your license through the monthly fee.
- The purchasing unit/department can cancel the automatic monthly billing for support and maintenance one year after the purchase date
- Canceling support and maintenance results in loss of Tableau support and privileges to publish to the UW Tableau server
Expect to receive your license within 2-4 business days, providing all necessary information is supplied at the time you submit your request.
- UW’s tracking system sends a generic confirmation email to the person who submitted the request
- Within 2-4 business days, the licensee will receive a confirmation email which includes:
- Your billing information
- Your Tableau Desktop License Key
- A link to Tableau resources
- Contact information for Tableau and the Enterprise Data & Analytics team
- The licensee is added to the UW Tableau User Group site and receives membership and participation information
- Review the UW Information Systems and UW Institutional Information Access and Use Agreement. By submitting your license request, you are agreeing to these terms.
- Gather the following information:
- Name, phone number, and UW NetID of the licensee (person to whom the license will be assigned)
- Budget number
- Budget option code (optional)
- Name, phone number, and UW NetID of the person to contact for budget information
- Complete and submit the following Tableau Desktop License Request form. Submit one form per license.