Information technology tools and resources at the UW
UW OneDrive for Business
On this page:
UW OneDrive for Business (formerly UW SkyDrivePro) is the University of Washington subscription to OneDrive for Business, a Microsoft online service that provides resources for file storage, collaboration, and communication with other UW users. The OneDrive for Business service, aimed at enterprise users, is not the same as the OneDrive service offered by Microsoft to individuals. For information on the differences, see How is OneDrive for Business different from OneDrive? on the Microsoft Office Web site.
Note: OneDrive for Business is not the same thing as OneDrive. Many people have personal OneDrive accounts (formerly called SkyDrive) for cloud storage; we won’t be talking about these personal accounts here. OneDrive for Business is storage for the UW documents you want to be able to access from multiple devices or locations.
UW OneDrive for Business offers you the following capabilities.
Office 365 ProPlus is included in the Technology Recharge Fee at no additional cost.
- UW OneDrive for Business is enabled automatically for all current UW students, faculty, and staff.
- Shared UW NetIDs and sponsored UW NetIDs are not automatically enabled, but will be enabled on request. This is often done through a group maintained by the local/departmental computing support team. Check with your local support team for details. Requests to create a new group to enable the service can be sent to email@example.com.
- Retirees are not entitled to MSCA services, but they may receive endorsements for services to facilitate active involvement with the UW community.
When you leave the UW:
- Current student, faculty, or staff accounts are disabled and the files are automatically deleted.
- Faculty and staff accounts are disabled after 14 days.
- Student accounts are disabled after one academic quarter.
- Emeritus faculty accounts remain enabled.
Store and share files
- Store up to 1TB of data in the cloud
- 15 GB maximum file size
- Store HIPAA and FERPA protected data
- Share files with UW users (A UW NetID is required, more below)
Access and synchronize files easily
- Access files using Web browsers or mobile devices
- Access files directly from Microsoft Office desktop applications (with appropriate client software installed)
- Synchronize files in UW OneDrive for Business to your computer
- Synchronize files in SharePoint Online document libraries to your computer
Create and edit Microsoft Office files in the cloud with Office Web Apps
More Information on UW OneDrive for Business
- UW OneDrive for Business FAQs. Frequently Asked Questions on IT Connect.
- Using UW Groups on UW OneDrive for Business. How to use UW Groups to manage permissions for UW OneDrive for Business resources.
- Mailman Lists for Microsoft Collaborative Applications. Mailman lists that provide the latest information on UW OneDrive and the other Microsoft Collaborative Applications.
- Microsoft Collaborative Applications (MSCA) Service Description.
Information from Microsoft
Microsoft provides extensive online help for OneDrive for Business. When using OneDrive for Business, click the question mark icon in the upper-right corner of the browser window to access Microsoft help.
Other useful information from Microsoft:
- What is OneDrive for Business? Describes OneDrive for Business libraries and the OneDrive for Business sync client.
- Manage your information. Describes how to use the basic features of OneDrive for Business.
- Start using SharePoint sites, OneDrive for Business, and Newsfeed. Links to documentation on all OneDrive for Business features.
- Technical overview. TechNet article describing terminology, architecture, and other technical issues.
- Plan browser support in SharePoint 2013. TechNet article on supported browsers.
- Software requirements. Help topic on supported browser/OS combinations.
- Mobile device browsers. TechNet article on supported mobile device browser/OS combinations.