Information technology tools and resources at the UW
Adding a computer to the Nebula domain
After you receive your computer with a Managed Workstation Image pre-installed, you will need to follow these instructions to join the computer to the Nebula2 domain:
- Log in:
- At the login screen, log in to the Administrator account. If the operating system was setup by CDWG, the Administrator password will be the serial number of the computer, which can often be found on the bottom of the computer. If the serial number contains any letters, they will be in UPPER CASE.
- Make sure you are connected to a working Ethernet port, or connect to the University of Washington wireless network
- After logging you receive a message that the Windows license has expired. Click Activate on line and Activate now
- You may be also be asked to choose type of network (home, work, public). Click Work. You will see a screen indicating the network has been named; you can Accept and Close this window.
- Join the computer to the NEBULA2 Domain:
- Windows 10 1607 and earlier:
- Press the Windows Key + X to bring up the selection menu. Click on System
- Under Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings, click Change settings, and then click the Change button
- The computer name should default to the serial number of the computer. You can change it to another name of your choosing; there is a 14-character limit on the name. Do not use the underscore character in the computer name.
- Member of: click on the Domain radio button and type in nebula2.washington.edu.
- You will be prompted for a user name and password. Enter netid\your UW NetID (enter your own UW NetID in place of the words your netid) and your netid password.
- Click OK and close out of the System settings windows.
- Select Restart later, if you need to add any accounts or groups to the local administrator group. Or you can send an email request to nebula@u when you’re done setting up the computer.
- Windows 10 1703 and later:
- Press the Windows Key + X to bring up the selection menu. Select System
- Click the link for: Connect to work or school and then click the Connect button
- Under Alternate actions: select Join this device to a local Active Directory domain
- Join a domain: Domain name: nebula2.washington.edu Click Next
- Enter netid\your UWNetID (enter your own UW NetID in place of the words your UWNetID) and your netid password.
- If you would like to add an admin account here, you may enter an account: user account\account type
- Windows 10 1607 and earlier:
- Restart the computer.
- Log in using netid\your UW NetID.
Please send an email to email@example.com asking us to claim your new computer. Computers not claimed within 3 days are automatically removed from the domain for security reasons. Please include the following:
- computer name (no underscores in the name, please)
- budget number
- primary user (UW NetID)
- optional: UW NetIDs to be added to the Local Admin Group
This is also a good time to let us know if you want an older computer removed from the domain.
Allow a few hours or overnight for the claiming process to complete and then restart the computer a couple of times to ensure that the group policies are applied correctly. Or, after about an hour, you can use this command to force the policy update and reboot:
- gpupdate /force /boot
After this, you can use the myIT page to make these further changes:
- the primary user
- the technical contact
- your note in the inventory field