Information technology tools and resources at the UW
Shared File Service
Shared File Service (SFS) provides UW-managed campus file storage that is available to Faculty and Staff. It provides low cost shareable storage, suitable for smaller storage needs, with the following features:
- CIFS/SMB access from UW campus subnets. (Can also be accessed via the VPN Service, which provides remote systems with a UW campus IP address.
- SFTP access from any internet location.
- User self-service file restores via “snapshots”
- Disaster recovery backups in two geographically separate regions (Seattle and Spokane). Per-file restores from tape are not available.
- Easy allocations of additional space as demand requires. Pricing is the same as for U Drive enlargement
- Access controlled via UW NetIDs and UW Groups
Permissions are limited to Read/Write for a single group per folder, full granular ACLs are not supported currently.
UW faculty; UW staff; UW researchers; UW clinicians; UW academic units; UW administrative units; UW Medical Center; Harborview Medical Center; requires a valid UW budget number
How to Order
Email email@example.com or call 206-221-5000.
The Shared File Service is intended to be available at any time; brief outages may occur for maintenance or server problems.
|Type of Service||Cost||Per|
|File Storage||$0.15||GB per Month|
Shared File Storage is billed in 'chunks' of 230GB at $34.50/chunk/month ($0.15/GB), with a 1-chunk minimum.
Charges for each "chunk" will appear on your Technology Services & Equipment bill as a "Nebula Managed Desktop", equal to the number of storage "chunks" you requested. File space usage will be monitored twice a year and you will be notified of billing adjustments if your usage exceeds the requested amount.
Price subject to change annually on July 1st.
Service Level Description
UW-IT responds to problem reports in one to four hours; response can be escalated if there is a critical problem. Our goal is always to minimize user downtime by responding as quickly as possible.
This service is considered FERPA compliant by the UW Registrar's office (due to the process used for data release), but has had no other formal third party data security or privacy compliance audits.
Instructions for set-up and management are available on our public wiki site. Assistance with these duties is provided via consulting services; email firstname.lastname@example.org and reference "SFS" in the subject line.
Last Review Date: 07/14/2015