Information technology tools and resources at the UW
Data Center Co-Location Services
Standard Server Co-Location services are currently available in the UW-IT data center, which offers data center infrastructure and network service in one of UW Information Technology's physically secure, environmentally controlled data center facilities. The customer manages all aspects of hardware and software. (If you prefer to have UW Information Technology manage the servers, you may be interested in Managed Server services instead.)
The following options are available with the Standard service:
- Full rack cabinet
- Public and/or private IP addresses
- DHCP plus static IP addresses
- UPS Protected
- Non-Generator, commercial power dependent
The following options are available with the Premium service:
- Full rack cabinet
- Local Shared Suite: Single Rack Unit Hotel Space
- Public and/or private IP addresses
- DHCP plus static IP addresses
- UPS protected
- Generator backup power
Additional Services: Some services may be added to this Server Co-Location Service for additional charges at prevailing rates. Please indicate your interest in these services on your Request Form.
UW faculty; UW staff; UW researchers; UW academic units; UW administrative units; UW affiliated organizations.
UW Medicine & clinical departments should email UW Medicine IT Services at email@example.com for service.
How to Order
Service details are contained in this catalog entry. When ready to order, first read and understand the policies and procedures listed under "Additional Information" below. Then fill in and submit the Request Form. You will be asked for details regarding your network and power requirements, budget number, etc.
For further questions and information:
Secured access to the facility is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Facility, power and network systems are monitored 24x7. Infrequent planned network and power outages will be pre-announced via email when required and kept to a minimum. Unplanned Data Center outages will be responded to by UW Information Technology staff, including after hours.
Installation and setup rate:
- Per rack cabinet: $1,149.50 **
** Additional charges for installation and setup will apply if non-UW Information Technology resources are required (e.g., electrical contractors, TierPoint contractors). Additional charges may also apply for complex custom network designs and implementations.
- Full rack cabinet:
- Basic Service: $415.39
- Premium Service: $581.54
- Full rack cabinet for UW Medical Centers: $886.16
- Shared Single Unit Hotel Suite (Local, on campus): $24.15 per U (one rack unit)
- Plus $200.00 Standard Installation fee
- Plus $85/hr any additional "Hands & Eyes" services as available.
Price subject to change annually on July 1st.
Billing: charges will appear on the UW Information Technology online Services & Equipment bill (UW Medical Centers / Auxiliary rate includes electricity surcharge).
Service Level Description
Initial queries are responded to within 2 business days. Network, power and environmental systems are monitored 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for disruptions. On-call staff are available for data center outage resolution.
Terms: Thirty (30) days notice via email to firstname.lastname@example.org is required for service termination. UW Information Technology will provide thirty (30) days notice for rate changes. New charges will commence at the beginning of the month while discontinued services will stop at the end of a month. Charges are based on a Cabinet Level Equivalent (CLE) for space, power and colloing usage.
The Standard service in the UW Tower data center includes:
- A UW Information Technology-managed data center with proximity card-controlled access, a stable environment ASHRAE TIA-942-A cooling for data centers at 99% of the time.
- Use of full cabinets with 36 available U (Units; 1U = 1.75"), 19" mounting width, 24" external width; depth may vary but 48" is current standard (600mmx1200mm)
- Two (2) rack mounted PDU's at either 208 or 240VAC. Amperage varies but 30 amps is typical.
- 5, 10, 15 and 20 Kilowatt maximum power draw per cabinet.
- Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) with a minimum 5-minute backup. Additional UPS's may not be installed in cabinets.
- All IT equipment must be dual power feed.
- Locking power cables are required and provided by UWIT.
- Access to Juniper EX Series network switches mounted at top of rack.
- Redundant and diverse 10G links per switch pair
- Separate subnets/VLANs per customer
- CAT6 networking cables are provided
- NOTE: only UW subnets are provisioned within data centers (no UW Medicine subnets)
Monitoring and Support
- Network, power, and environment are monitored and supported 24x7.
The Customer Will
- Insure the equipment (if desired). University property and equipment are not automatically insured for loss or damage due to theft, fire, flood, power spike, etc. You can arrange for insurance through the Equipment Insurance campus-wide online program, which is administered by the Office of Risk Management. This program provides optional, low cost coverage for equipment owned, leased, or borrowed by University departments. You can find more information here: f2.washington.edu/treasury/riskmgmt/insure/EIS
Additional service details are located in the Policies and Procedures documents listed under "Additional Information" above.
Important: All customers must comply with the following established policies and procedures:
- Local Shared Single Unit Hotel Suite Service limitations and restrictions
- Data Centers and Mission Critical Facilities Operations Policy
- Data Centers and Mission Critical Facilities Operations Procedure
- Data Centers and Mission Critical Facilities Access and Physical Security Policy
- Data Centers and Mission Critical Facilities Access and Physical Security Procedures
High-Level Overview of Roles and Responsibilities
UW Information Technology:
- Badges: Provide access badges to the data center, as requested by the customer.
- Billing: Bill service charges to a UW budget number.
- Maintenance: Provide facility maintenance.
- Power: Provide power to server rack cabinet(s) for customer use.
- Network: Provide, install, monitor, and maintain UW Information Technology EDGE switch(es) and router uplinks for customer use. Replace or repair UW Information Technology-provided equipment in the event of failure.
- Policies and Procedures: Adhere to all documented UW Information Technology data center policies and procedures listed above.
- Technical & Billing Contacts: Provide UW Information Technology with current technical and billing contact information; update with personnel changes.
- Install/Support: Install and support all server hardware and software.
- Network Disconnection: Customers may not disconnect uplinks (typically fiber) without prior approval from the Network Operations Center (NOC) at email@example.com. The NOC requires notification of any planned activity that will cause a network outage to the switch(es) that UW Information Technology manages within the cabinet.
- Cabling: Customer cabinet cabling will be kept orderly, neat and tidy at all times.
- Badges: Provide UW-IT badge information as requested on forms. Ensure proper procedures are followed under the Security Policy, including background checks.
- Equipment Changes: Prior to adding or removing equipment from a co-location rack cabinet, contact UW Information Technology (firstname.lastname@example.org) to communicate estimated dates, power amounts, and equipment weight/load.
- Power: All equipment must have dual power supplies. Install equipment within cabinet power limits.
- Budget Information: Provide a valid budget number for billing.
- Term: Provide 30-day notice to vacate cabinet or be billed for an additional month of service. New charges will commence at the beginning of the month while discontinued services will stop at the end of a month. Charges are based on a Cabinet Level Equivalent (CLE) for space, power and cooling limitations.
- Report Outages: Contact the UW-IT Service Center at 201-221-5000, or email Help@Uw.edu with "data center" in the subject line.
Building Access issues with existing service: Call Access Control at 206-221-4500
Technical issues with an existing service: Contact the UWIT Service Center at 201-221-5000, or email Help@Uw.edu with "data center" in the subject line.
General service questions and to request additional services: email email@example.com with "data center" in the subject line.
Billing questions or problems: Call 206-543-1997
**UW-IT, Data Center Strategy & Operations(DCSO) staff can be contacted at 206-616-6360 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last Review Date: 06/19/2015