Information technology tools and resources at the UW
Set Discussion Area Availability
Service notice: All Catalyst Web Tools–except WebQ Survey and Gradebook–will be retired. View timeline and details.
Owners and administrators can set discussion area availability to manage participant access and ability to post messages. Only moderators or administrators can change availability settings.
To set the current availability of a discussion area, follow these steps:
- From the Catalyst tools account page, click the name of the board which contains discussion areas you wish to manage. You will move to the board home page.
- Click Manage in the global navigation at the upper left. You will move to the “Manage” page.
- Click Edit under “Discussion Areas.”
- A list of the current discussion areas is displayed in the panel. Click the name of the discussion area you want to change the availability settings for. The form will open in the panel.
- Select the desired availability setting:
Open: the discussion area will be available to all participants to post and create new conversations
Reply-only: participants will be able to access the discussion area and post to existing conversations but they will not be able to create new conversations
Read-only: participants will be able to access but not post to the discussion area
Hidden: the discussion area will be inaccessible to participants. Administrators and moderators may still access and post to a hidden area.
- Click OK.
- Repeat steps 4 – 6 to change availability settings for another discussion area.
- When finished, click Save to save your changes, or Cancel to discard them.