Information technology tools and resources at the UW
Set a Time Limit
Service notice: All Catalyst Web Tools–except WebQ Survey and Gradebook–will be retired. View timeline and details.
Tip: You must set security on your survey or quiz before you can change the participant experience settings. The available settings depend on which security option you choose.
You can limit the amount of time a participant can take to complete a survey or quiz. If you set a time limit, it is important to note the following:
- If the participant has not completed the survey in the amount of time allotted, the survey will be automatically submitted with the responses entered at that time. On a quiz, questions not viewed or completed will be scored as “0” when the timer runs out.
- The timer starts when the participant first opens the survey. If he/she closes the browser and returns to the survey or quiz later, the timer will still count down from when the survey was first opened. If the time has
expired by the time they return, the survey or quiz will automatically submit at that time.
- If some of the questions were not viewed, you will not see responses for them in the results. When you download the results, the questions not viewed will have “777” as the response, or the default answer that you selected.
- Participants will not be able to return to modify their answers once they have run out of time.
- If you allow participants to take the survey more than once, the timer will start over each time.
Follow the steps below to set the participant experience during the survey or quiz:
- From the “Summary” page, click Participant experience. You will move to the “Edit Participant Experience” page.
- Under the heading “During the survey/quiz” select Set a time limit for completing the survey/quiz, and then select
the amount of time in hours and/or minutes from the drop-down menus that appear.
- Click Save to save your changes and return to the “Summary” page.