Information technology tools and resources at the UW
Assigning Points and Scoring
If you are building a quiz, you can assign points to each question. WebQ will automatically score participants’ responses (for multiple choice and matrix questions) and award points for correct answers. Though you assign points for short and long response questions, you must manually grade participant’s responses to these question types.
How Questions are Scored
WebQ scores questions as follows:
- Multiple choice – one answer questions: The entire point value is awarded for the correct answer.
- Multiple choice – multiple answer questions: A participant must select all the correct answers, and only correct answers, to receive points. If a participant selects only some correct answers, or a combination of correct and incorrect answers, WebQ assigns zero points.
- Matrix – one answer per row questions: The points are divided equally amongst the rows (questions). This means the points you assign to this question must be the points you want for each row multiplied by the number of rows. For each row, points are awarded for a correct answer.
Assign and Calculate Points
Follow these steps to assign and calculate points:
- From the WebQ home page, click on the title of the quiz that you want to edit.
- From the quiz summary page, click Build in the global navigation. You will move to the build quiz page.
- On the build page, enter a number into the “Points” space for each question. Point values can have two decimal places.
Tip: If you are viewing the consolidated view of the questions, you will have to click “Show details” at the top of the question table in order to see the “points” spaces.
- To view and calculate the total points for your quiz, scroll to the bottom of the “Build Quiz” page, and click .