Information technology tools and resources at the UW
Edit a Poll
To edit the question text and answer choices, follow the steps below.
- On the Catalyst tools account page, click the name of the poll. You will move to the “Overview” page.
- Click Edit Question in the global navigation at the upper right. You will move to the “Edit question” page.
- You change the question type by selecting a different type from the menu, and clicking Change.
- Modify text of your question into the space provided. Click and drag to highlight text, and then use the toolbar to format the text as you would like it to appear on your published poll. You can also insert images, and create links with the toolbar. View detailed instructions about using the rich text editor.
- If you are creating a “multiple choice – one answer (menu)” question, you can choose to display a prompt (a null option) to be displayed as the first choice in the drop-down menu. Select Display “Select one…” prompt , and then enter a label (such as “Please select”) in the space provided.
Caution: If you do not create a null option and also do not select a default answer, the first answer choice will become the default. In other words, the first answer choice in the menu will be submitted if participants do not respond to the question.
- Change the text of the answers in the spaces provided. To save time, you can also create answers with word processing software, and then copy and paste an entire list of answer choices.
- In the “Abbreviated answer” column, enter an abbreviation of the answer text or a code that you would like to have displayed in the results and graphs instead of the full text of the answer choice.
- In the “Show as default” column, select which answer choice to display as pre-selected when participants view and take the poll. If you do not want any of the answer choices to be selected by default, select None in the “Show as default” column (at the bottom).
Caution: If you choose an answer to be the default, that answer will always be recorded in the results. In other words, you will not be able to tell if a participant selected the default answer or simply did not respond to the question.
- You can add additional answer choice spaces, delete answer choices, or rearrange your answer choices. Follow these steps:
Add an answer choice: To add an additional answer choice, click New answer choice at the bottom of the answer panel. A new answer space will appear at the end of the existing answer choices.
Delete an answer choice: To delete an answer choice space, click the delete icon. Please note that empty answer spaces will appear on the published poll, so it is best to delete them if they are not used.
- Choose questions settings(optional). Depending on the question type, you can choose to shuffle the answer choices for each participant, or set a minimum or maximum number of answer choices.
- Click Preview to see your question as it will appear on the poll, or Cancel to discard your changes.
- When finished modifying the question and settings, click Save. You will return to the “Overview” page.
Creating Answers As a List
To save time, you can create the answers as a list, and then paste them into QuickPoll. You can create the list of answers using a word processing program and then paste the list, or just type the list into QuickPoll.
Follow these steps to paste and insert an entire list of answer choices:
- In a word processing program, create a list of your answer choices, with one answer per line. Click and drag to highlight the whole list of answer choices, and then copy them to the clipboard.
- Move back to your Web browser where you are working with QuickPoll. On the answer panel, “Add multiple choice answers” click the link that reads You can also paste a list of answer choices to open the paste tool.
- From the browser menu, select Edit > Paste, or use a keyboard shortcut to paste the list of answer choices into the space provided. Alternatively, you can type the list of answer choices directly into the paste tool, with one answer per line.
- Click Insert answers to create your answer choices. QuickPoll will insert the list into answer spaces, automatically adding or removing answer spaces if necessary. If you have already entered answers into the answer choice spaces, they will be overwritten by the pasted answer choices.