Information technology tools and resources at the UW
Students are added to the grade book by selecting a class for which you are the instructor of record. You can also track scores for students not listed in an official class list by adding a group that contains the students’ UW NetIDs.
To add students to the grade book follow the steps below:
- From the Catalyst account page, click the name of the grade book that you want to work with. You will move to the main view of the grade book.
- Click Manage in the global navigation in the upper right.
- Under the heading Students, click Edit.
- Click to select classes, sections, or groups. An official list of students will be added to the grade book for each class or section you choose. This list is automatically updated as students add, drop, or withdraw.
Tip: GradeBook displays the classes for which you are the instructor of record. If you do not see the class you are teaching, please contact your department’s time schedule coordinator. If you do not see your class, or do not want to select one, you can skip this step and complete it later. You can also add students to the grade book by creating and adding a group.
Caution: Removing a class will not delete those students’ scores from the grade book. Students who are removed from the grade book are marked as dropped. Dropped students can be shown or hidden on the main view of the grade book using the “Students” menu.
- To add a group of students to the grade book, click to select an existing group and/or class list, or click the blue plus sign to create a new group of students. Follow these instructions to create a new group.
Note: In order to submit grades to the Office of the Registrar, a class list must be selected. Submission of grades to the registrar will not be allowed for students added to the grade book using groups.
- When you are done managing students, click Save to retain your changes, or click Cancel to discard your changes.